ABS Trading Co meat processing plants are required to meet the highest of food hygiene standards. Well-defined specifications and guidelines have been developed with palatability, safety and consistency in mind.
Our affiliations with major international shipping companies and freight forwarders guarantee all goods are delivered promptly.
Overseas Market Access Requirements are adhered to at all times with every consignment accompanied by a full set of export documentation relevant to final port of entry.
Our cold storage facilities have the flexibility to combine a variety of different products and brands in one consignment, this ensures our customers’ requirements, big or small, can be tailored to suit.
- Controls on transport of livestock to ensure stress-free travel from farm to processor
- Inspection of export meat by government– approved veterinarians and meat inspectors
- Processing in a temperature controlled environment of below 10°Celsuis (C)/50°Fahrenheit (F)
- Fastidious levels of cleanliness at all stages
- Products refrigerated within 30 minutes of processing
- Chilled cuts being rapidly chilled and held at -1°C ± 0.5°C/30.2°F-41°F
- Frozen cuts being rapidly Blast in Chillers and held at -18°C ± 0.5°C/ -0.4°F
- Temperatures controlled and monitored by automatic sensing equipment
- Regimes for tenderness control
- Specifications for fat cover, trim, packaging and label integrity
This means that ABS Trading CO meat complies with its customers’ hygiene and product specification requirements and buyers can confidently order products to meet their specifications.
Animals are selected for processing when at their prime for their intended purpose. This is an important reason for New ABS Trading CO superior quality and is a significant contributor to its tenderness, succulence and flavor.
It’s our expertise that sets us apart
From the farm to the plant to the loading dock and beyond, the Food Safety & Laboratory Services Network performs multiple tests on our products and our manufacturing environments to protect potential food quality or safety issues.
This diverse group of team members also works closely with our Research & Development team. The Slaughterhouse Chemistry Department routinely performs the testing needed to determine nutritional content for product packaging.
Ensuring proper food safety
- Our Food Safety and Quality Assurance Team is passionate about making great food safe. Safe food requires a culture that puts safety first. This means responsibility for food safety lies with everyone from the production floor to the CEO’s office.
- That is why we created a rigorous method for testing for post-processing contamination to ensure safe, responsible food for our consumers.
- In addition, our plants, processes, and meats are routinely checked for quality and safety, both internally and through third party audits.
Having your meat cut to specification is only half the story. ABS Trading CO meat can be wrapped in a wide range of inner and outer packaging types, depending on the buyer’s needs.
FROZEN CUTS – normally packed in one of the following ways:
- Shrink film
- Bulk Pack
- Layer Pack
- Bulk vacuum
CHILLED CARCASSES OR CUTS are packaged in one of the following ways:
- Vacuum: There are three systems:
- Thermoforming and vacuum skin
- Controlled atmosphere packaging (CAP)
CAP controls an atmosphere, currently within a laminated foil material. The air is drawn out and carbon dioxide back-flushed into the pack, creating an atmosphere which is oxygen-free. The meat is packaged under 100% carbon dioxide and the bag sealed. The successful system, CAPTECHTM, designed to increase the storage life and to serve the needs of distance buyers for consumer-ready packs of chilled meat. Trials have shown that consumers perceive no significant difference between CAP-Packed meat and fresh domestic meat. Its benefits include extended shelf-life and improved display life when unpacked.
Chilled meat is a very convenient product. It is the ideal choice for those planning to use it immediately, as it doesn’t require any time for thawing. It also has a good shelf life if stored under the proper conditions. Held at -1°C/30.2°F with minimal fluctuations, chilled meat can be transported around the world and stored for a period of up to 84 days. Temperature loggers are regularly included with consignments. At the unloading point a temperature history of the product can be obtained to check if any deterioration is likely to have occurred. Chilled vacuum-packed meat can be frozen as long as it remains unopened in its original packaging. It is important to remember that chilled vacuum-packed meat should be used immediately after it is removed from its packaging. In its pack it will be a dark purplish-red color that changes to bright red within 30 minutes of opening. Vacuum packs sometime give off a sour/acid smell on opening – this ‘confinement odor’ quickly disappears and is not an indication of product deterioration.
Blast freezing locks in the flavor of ABS Trading CO meat and minimizes tissue damage and moisture loss. To get the best from all the careful preparation that has gone into the product, remember the cardinal rule: freeze quickly, but thaw slowly. It is possible to speed thaw if necessity requires it.